FUNKY POLKADOT GIRAFFE

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer Fun: Campfire Cones


Every summer we try to spend a week or so at my parents' home in Utah.
The kids love being with their cousins, playing outside in the big backyard,
taking care of the animals, and cooking around the fire pit.
My dad and brothers built this fun campfire pit in the backyard and it is a 
fan favorite with all the grandchildren.
 Every summer we cook at at least once during our visit and I always
try to introduce the family to a new and fun campfire treat.
This year we tried Campfire Cones and they did not disappoint!


The idea behind campfire cones is to fill an ice cream cone with lots of delicious things,
wrap it in foil, and cook it in the campfire.
Our delicious ingredients for the campfire cones included:

toffee bits
strawberries
bananas
peanut butter chips
cashews
marshmallows
mini M&M's

I put each ingredient in a mason jar, loaded them all up in a Longaberger basket
with the cones, tin foil, and a Sharpie to write our names on them,
and headed out to the campfire pit with the family.


The kids were so excited to concoct their own delicious campfire dessert,
and they wasted no time getting started with their creations once I set the portable
buffet basket down on the picnic table.
It was fun to see their little personalities and preferences expressed in their choices.
JT's was stuff with as much fruit and marshmallows as he could stuff in the
little sugar cone and Isabella was all about the CHOCOLATE!


Of course, my combination of strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, cashews 
and chocolate was the most delicious concoction of them all.
My mom agreed, except she asked me to hold the bananas in hers.


My dad declared that they were better than S'mores and I know at least
three family members came back for seconds, so I would say that
Campfire Cones were a success and have a bright future at the Terry Fire Pit.


CAMPFIRE CONES TIPS & TRICKS

*After you load up your sugar cone, wrap it in foil, and toss it in the coals of the fire.

*It will take 5-8 minutes to get all toasty and melty.

*If you have a lot of cones going into the fire at the same time, I recommend
having a Sharpie handy so that each person can put their name on their cone.

*You'll also need tongs of some sort to get the cones in and out of the fire 
because it can pretty HOT HOT HOT near the fire.

*We used sugar cones, but I'd like to experiment with waffle ones one day.

*Make sure you have plenty of chocolate on hand and ENJOY!



0 comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails