FUNKY POLKADOT GIRAFFE

Friday, July 12, 2013

Tutorial: Handprint Parrot Project for Kids

handprint-parrot 
 Disclaimer: I was given a Jo-Ann gift card to purchase supplies. All opinions are my own.

Remember that one summer when I was going to be a fantastic mommy and
do Mommy School like three days a week and do all these literacy based
activities with my kids and they were going to be so smart by the end of the summer?
Well, I decided that I was going to try to reclaim that title of fantastic mommy and
do Mommy School at least once a week - that's fantastic, right?

So after reading the book How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long,
I started perusing the Jo-Ann Cape Discovery Spring Catalog to find ideas.
It's a darling story about how young Jeremy Jacob joins the pirate crew of
Captain Braid Beard for swashbuckling adventure, only to discover that "Pirates don't tuck."
Super darling and a perfect companion when reading Where the Wild Things Are.


The first project that grabbed my eye was this handprint parrot.
I knew it was the perfect project that both my 4-year-old and 7-year-old could complete.
We headed to Jo-Ann to pick up a few missing supplies and I found
this rad Palmer Washable Glitter Tempera Paint, so of course I had to have it.

You'll need:
 tempera paint, brushes, good paper, construction paper,
glue, and some funky googly eyes
 

First - paint up your little one's hand.
The Jo-Ann project only had red wings, but my future zoologist said
that parrots need to have multi-colored wings, so multi-colored it was!
handprint parrot

You'll have to paint the hand three times and position it three different times
to make the wings and the tail feather.
I turn the paper in the right direction for the kids instead of trying to make
them twist their hands in a weird direction.

Next, you need to cut the head, body, and head feathers out of construction paper.
In order to make this an opportunity to practice cutting skills I drew the circles
on the paper and had the kids cut them out themselves.

Then, glue your construction pieces on and add some funky googly eyes.

Voila! A cute little multi-colored handprint parrot to hang on your fridge.
The kids were both about having their hands painted and especially liked the googly eyes.
handprint parrot

It was such a fun project to do on a gloomy summer day that extended our
literary learning for the day and made connections to the the text with something
that was fun and different for the kids to make.

If you're looking some fun summer projects to do with your kids,
be sure to check out the Jo-Ann Discovery Cape catalog online.
And if you like receiving deals from Jo-Ann Fabric,
be sure to sign up for their Preferred Customer email and text list -
you'll get a 20% coupon just for signing up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so cute!! I would love it if you would share this at Fidlin Fridays my linking party! http://www.fidlersunderoneroof.com/2013/07/fidlin-fridays.html we have extended last weeks party for another week!

UNKNOWN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
UNKNOWN said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails