FUNKY POLKADOT GIRAFFE

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tutorial Thursday: Ruffled Bookmark Tutorial {Teacher Appreciation}



I was looking for a cute gift for teacher appreciation,
so I decided to make a fun bookmark.

I used farm fabric - left over from quilts my mom made for JT-
because I wanted it to remind them of JT whenever they looked at it.
And since he is an animal lover - and talks about them ALL the time -
I figured it would be a good reminder :)


What you'll need:
  • 1 piece of cotton fabric (mine was 2.5"x9")
  • 1 piece of cotton fabric (2.5"x18")
  • 1 piece of felt (also 2.5"x9")
  • 6" piece of ribbon
STEP ONE
Take the 2.5"x18" piece of fabric, find the center.
Set your tension high.
Set your stitch length long.
Sew right down the middle.



STEP TWO
Layer your piece of felt on top of your 2.5"x9" piece of fabric.


STEP THREE
Layer your ruffled piece of fabric on top of the felt, creating a fabric sandwich :)




STEP FOUR
Fold your piece of ribbon into a "V" and pin in between the felt
and the non-ruffled piece of fabric.


STEP FIVE
You can pin the rest of bookmark, or you can sew by the seat of your pants.
I chose to sew by the seat of my pants, so I could adjust the ruffles as I went.
I used a 1/4" seam allowance.
You can use a larger seam allowance if you wanted to be able to pink the edges.
I happen to like the frayed/funky look, so I didn't pink.

I also sewed back and forth over the ribbon 2-3 times to make it secure.


STEP SIX
Grab your seam ripper.
And carefully remove the ruffle stitch from the middle.

TIP:
If you have itty bitty holes from your ruffle stitch,
lightly spray the fabric with water
and let it air dry.
VOILA!
Teensy holes are gone.

Now you have a fun gift for teacher appreciation or Mother's Day!







I had JT write a thank you note to each of his teachers.
Then I put it on another piece of colored cardstock, stitched around the edge,
and pinned the bookmark to the giant thank you note.






Woohoo!
We love our teachers!



I'm linking up HERE!!!!

This post brought to you by:


24 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have pinked. But then again, you already knew that. :)
Thanks for linking up!!

Unknown said...

super cute Kyla

Anonymous said...

very cute! I was planning on making my MIL a bookmark for Mother's Day and am now going to add this ruffle! Cute!!

Jess said...

This is a precious idea! Very cute!

Kristen @ Who's Watching the Baby? said...

I... just made 8. I had leftover pieces of a jelly roll that I used for something else, and I used it all up. Oh man. So cute. And so far past my bedtime.

Now... how do I get them to work on my Kindle...?

Sweet Floweret said...

I LOVE these!

I just started a linky party this past Tuesday. It was a great success with over 50 link ups! I would love it if you would participate next week! It's called $10 Tuesdays and it's for things that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 mins (ish) to complete. I love inexpensive and quick projects and I'm guessing others will too ;) Thanks so much for considering.
Tina
http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/
PS. I'm GIVING away 50 button pony tailers this month! Come visit and claim yours ;)

Kelli W said...

These are too cute! A perfect excuse for me to put my ruffler foot back on my sewing machine:)

Katie said...

How sweet, ruffles are always nice and I love how you added it to a bookmark. What a great teacher gift and nice presentation too!

Katie said...

Love these and am featuring them next Thursday on A Crafty Soiree!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

Love those! We are making bookmarks for a baby shower but not sure if I want to make 60 ruffled bookmarks but it is certainly tempting after seeing how cute they are! :)

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

What a cute idea! :)
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

Kath said...

I love this blog! and the bookmark. so simple and completely awesome.

thanks for sharing,
kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Letti said...

This is adorable. I am thinking that I might make one to give to my kid's teacher's for Teacher Appreciation Week.

PS I love your blog and I am now a follower. I found you over at the Creation Corner.

Julianna said...

Love this project! I'd love for you to link up at Inspire Me Mondays. It's up all week long!
http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2011/05/inspire-me-monday-happy-mothers-day.html

A Nest in the Making said...

What a cute idea! I made some bookmarks (seen here) for my mother and mother-in-law, but this is a super cute idea. I actually played around with the idea of using ruffles, but couldn't think of a good way to do it. I can't wait to make one of these for myself!

I'm just popping in from Get Your Craft On to say hi! I hope you have a great week!


Kristi @ A Nest in the Making

A Nest in the Making said...

Can't you tell it's been one of those days?! :)

Here is the link to the bookmarks I made.


Kristi @ A Nest in the Making

The Sewist said...

Really cute love the project and have post it on my tumblr
http://sewchicandunique.tumblr.com/

Thanks for sharing and so glad i found your blog today!

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I'm am such a bookmark junky. I can't wait to try this one out and I LOVE the idea of giving it to a teacher.

Gina Thomas said...

now i love this tutorial! so awesome. i have it bookmarked-pun intended;)
hehe
gina

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I loved this so much I had to copy. I'm doing a post on it on Friday at recoveringcrafthoarder.blogspot.com and I'm linking back to your tutorial. Thanks for such wonderful inspiration!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This bookmark is sooo sweet! I love it! I shared the link on my FB page - thanks for linking up to Think Pink Sundays!! :)

Chiara said...

Love, love, love this. What a fun way to give a book as a gift too!
I shared this post/tutorial on my Friday Favorites (got posted today/Tuesday due to Blogger issues last week). Thanks for the great idea!

The Bonjour Four said...

WHAT a great idea!! love anything with ruffles on it. too cute!!!

Jen @ frazzled 5 said...

Saw these over at Tip Junkie and knew I would love to make one. New Follower! Thanks for the tutorial!
~Jen @ Frazzled Five

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails