FUNKY POLKADOT GIRAFFE

Thursday, September 9, 2010

TUTORIAL: Candy Corn Bunting

I am SO excited to share this with you.I hope you think it's as cool as I do :)

If you know me well, you know I love candy corn and Peeps.
Not so much the eating of them,
but all the CUTE things that are made in their image.
Including - dressing my child up like one of them.
(see HERE and HERE)

So when I saw THIS tutorial over at MADE this Spring I was in LOVE.
It was on my to-do list, but I never got it done :(

So, I took what I learned from the Peep tutorial and made this Candy Corn Bunting.
I am over the moon with how it turned out.
So, candy corn lovers unite and let's do this thing!
Supplies:
Felt (orange, white, yellow)
Regular thread
Sewing Machine
Rotary Cutter/mat/ruler
Scissors
Grosgrain ribbon

STEP ONE
On your mat & with your rotary cutter, cut strips of felt in the following widths -
white 2.25 inches
yellow 2.5 inches
orange 3.25 inches

I used felt remnants left over from THIS costume,
so all my strips were varying lengths.

STEP TWO
Match up your lengths of felt and lay them in candy corn colored coded order.
Then sew them together with 1/4" seam.
Make sure your seams both end up on the same side.


When you're done, you'll have a pile like unto this!

STEP THREE
Press your seams open. Ugghh, I know.
I tried to avoid it. The product was not desirable.


 STEP FOUR
Using the candy corn template - cut out your candy corn shapes
from your candy corn colored strips.


Now, I debated about how to sew this and put it together.
First I sewed 2 candy corns together, flipped it, and top stitched.
Too tedious.
Then I sewed 2 candy corns together and left the edges raw - too funky.
I finally settled on sewing a color blocked candy corn to a plan white one.

STEP FIVE
Cut white candy corn shapes for your backs.


 STEP SIX
Now this should probably be step "1", but decide how long you want your bunting to be.
I wanted mine to fit on the front of my bar,
and with the help of my son holding the other end of the tape measure,
I decided I wanted it to be 72 inches long.

 STEP SEVEN
I laid out my candy corn to find out how many I'd need.
For my 72 inch bunting, I needed 11.


 STEP EIGHT
Cut your ribbon and pin the plain BACKS of your candy corns to the ribbon.
I started pinning 6 inches in from the ends.
I cut my ribbon 72 inches - next time I'll cut it about 2 feet longer
than I need, because I want longer dangly ends.
I wanted the candy corn to alternate directions,
but you can put them all the same direction if you want to.


 STEP NINE
Sew the candy corn backs to the ribbon.
I picked up my foot after each back,
but I didn't cut my thread and then I moved to the next back.



 STEP TEN
Lay the candy corn fronts on the backs, and sew all around with a 1/4" seam.


 STEP ELEVEN
Keep going until all your candy corn fronts are sewn to their backs!

And 6 hours later . . .
(thanks to kidlet interruptions)

YOU'RE FINISHED!

(P.S. Aren't you so proud I cleaned off the bar for the final shot?
No, I did not just move everything over to the table. How rude to even think that ;)
Yes, that is a half full fish tank that has been sitting there since December,
thank you for asking)


I wish I could selective color my life like in Photoshop :)


Here is my candy corn pattern.
I tried to do it on a white background, but it wouldn't show up -
because it's white.
Feel free to use it if you want to.
(The F stands for front, so I'd cut them the same way.)

I'll be linking up HERE!

Fine Print:
Please feel free to use this tutorial for your personal use. 

Please be kind and give credit where credit is due. 
Any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.



51 comments:

Jaime said...

Great job girlfriend!! I'm tired just reading about it!! LOL

Unknown said...

Wow-ee! I love it. I love the cutsie stuff a lot more than the scary halloween stuff.
Thanks for putting together a tutorial!

The Bonjour Four said...

great job!!! I will so keep that in my list of projects to do. I lOVE IT!

Melanie said...

Very cute! I love it! Let's hope that I can get around to making one! :-)

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for joining our blog hop over at Sassy Sites! There are some amazing blogs out there, and you are definetly one of them! I'm a follower of yours too! Happy Friday! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Lolly Jane said...

so cute! found ya on sassy sites! your newest follower!

so glad i found ya. :)

Envymycooking said...

love this blog just found it.. come swing by ours for giveaways and recipes

Envymycooking said...

love this blog just found it.. come swing by ours for giveaways and recipes

Alex Duenkel said...

I love candy corn! Thanks for this great tutorial!
I will be giving this a try.

Rachel said...

I am loving this!

I'm following from Sassy sites, can't wait to see more of your blog! I would love a follow back!

http://frugalformyfriends.blogspot.com

Tasha said...

Holy manoly...that is more then fabulous! Seriously. I am completely IN LOVE WITH IT. Definitely going to be doing this one! I am so glad you are going to link it up. Happiness to it. Thank you for doing a tutorial on it too. Love. Love love.

The Mustard Seed said...

This is the cutest idea!!! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I'm going to make some for my son's room!

Angel

Stacy Risenmay said...

Thank you for your comment! I love your blog :) I have all boys so I don't know the first thing about hair bows. Would you ever want to do a tutorial on my blog? That monkey and banana pair was TO DIE FOR cute!!!!!!

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Absolutely adorable. Love the way it turned out. Thanks for the tutorial! And for linking up on my pity party. xo, Mique

Army Wife Quilter said...

really cute and simple. It is spooktacular.

Katie said...

Now that is FUN! It such a nice splash of color and cute too. Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Marianne said...

Really cute and I would even consider making it even though I don't like to eat candycorn either.

nest of posies said...

darling idea!

love candy corn & this banner is the cutest.

thanks for linking this on the FALL FESTIVAL!

kellie

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

VERY cute! I loved the peeps as well from Made and great twist on the project! Great job!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute!!! It's funny -- I made a candy corn pennant this week too. Yours is adorable! i love the bright colors and how happy it looks. Fantastic!

xoxo
Jen

Anonymous said...

This is soooo cute! Good job!

elizabeth said...

Oh yes ma'am I DO love candy corn and this is darling! Adding felt to my weekend shopping list... :)

dancin' momma said...

I can't wait to try it!

Erin said...

This is so cute. My daughter LOVES candy corn and would love this!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE this! Great tutorial! Thanks :)

kara @ Mine for the Making

Stephanie said...

That is too darn cute! Love the way it turned out, way to stick with it with all the interruptions. 6 hours, wow.

Susie Chadwick said...

too cute! I love candy corn stuff.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I crazy about anything candy corn and this is one of the coolest candy corn projects ever! Love it!

Shelly said...

This is the cutest thing ever!

http://evenings-and-weekends.blogspot.com/

Amy Meyer said...

Super cute! I love how you expanded on what Dana did at MADE. Great job!

the cape on the corner said...

that looks great! candy corn is my favorite, and it always signifies the start of fall to me when the halloween candy is out in the stores.

Felt-o-rama said...

So adorable -- makes me hungry just looking at it! I've included a link to your tutorial on my blog under 'Felt for Fall and Halloween :)

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

SO stinkin' cute! I featured this bunting today on my blog:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/09/wednesdays-wowzers-new-favorites.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
~Alison

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

I heart candy corn too...this is too cute!

malia said...

hi! i featured this today at my A Crafty Soiree party! Hope you pick up your featured button + link another of your fab creations up
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

Richelle said...

I was just thinking a candy corn bunting would be fun for Halloween decor. This is so cute!

T-Fam said...

I have to make it

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Love it! Perfect for the season. I like leaves too, but these are yummy! Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

Aimee said...

I thought this little bunting was ADORABLE and featured it here. So, so cute!

Maggie said...

This is one of the cutest bunting tutorials I have EVER seen. I love it! I hope I can find the time to try it this fall. Thanks for sharing!

Brandy said...

Thank you so much for the idea! I posted the little one that I made on my blog after seeing yours. It isn't as big or as bright since I was using scraps...and didn't have as many scraps of felt as I thought, lol. but it turned out cute!

SewSara said...

brilliant!
i came over from the 18twentyfive (or is it eighteen25?) linky blog. :)

your blog is adorable and i love your candy corn idea. add to the cute-but-not-yummy candy list: conversation hearts! :)

hop on by my blog sometime too!
sewsara.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Excellent tutorial! We featured it here:
http://sew-whats-new.com/group/holidaysewing/forum/topics/candy-corn-bunting-tutorial-by

Keep up the great work :)

Susan

Kelly Lamb said...

I received a newsletter from sew-whats-new.com that featured this tutorial. This is a very cute project! I think this would be a great project to dress up a classroom for a party. Thanks for posting this adorable project!
HonestNiceWoman Blogspot

JoDee Martin said...

LOVE IT!
This is going on my to do list this week!
Thanks so much for sharing you're awesome creativity!
Following you- would love a follow back
JoDee
www.atozformomslikeme.blogspot.com

Valerie said...

I love this! Thank you!
http://sunshine-wave.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-halloween-goodies.html

Sarah said...

Hi! I love this craft and I featured it on my blog, Tastefully Crafted. Great job!

Everyday Art said...

Love, love, LOVE it! Thanks for sharing.
-Jaime

Stephani said...

This is adorable! I definitely want to make one. Would you mind if I used a picture and a link blog on my "Candy Corn Crazy" post in October?
Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Very cute! I love how they aren't all the same size. I made a pacman ghost bunting this year to get into the halloween spirit!http://bakingmemoirs.blogspot.com/2011/10/pacman-ghost-bunting.html Check it out if you get the chance!

CJMsquared+6 said...

Thanks for the inspiration and tutorial Friend!!! Perfect!

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails